Monday 20 July 2015

My Backpacker Hostel Experience

World Map at BOA Guesthouse , South Korea, Seoul
I have been officially addicted to travel since year 2010 to present, and I'm still continue on what I love to do.

I've come across people asking me about "Backpacker Hostel / Guesthouse / AirBnB / Couch-surfing"

I start to realize, people who want to travel start to worry a lot (Is normal, I do too). Backpacker Hostel or Couch-surfing, seems to be a NONO to a lot of people for the 2 major problems :

1. Insecure (as you need to share the room with strangers)
2. Hygiene

I've been traveling across about 17 countries (still counting) and have been experiencing backpacker hostel since year 2010.

I've chosen to stay at the backpacker hostel because i'm usually on a solo travel or with just 1 friend. My only concern on my travel is Keep It Budgeted. The only way for me to do so is via backpacker hostel or couch-surfing.

Trust me or not, it help you to save a lot on your travel. One point (honeymoon and family trip exceptional), while you are traveling to a city, you won't be in the Hotel for 24 hours. I believe you will be spending more than 10 hours wandering at the city and exploring, so why spend hundreds of bucks for a place where you are going to use the bed and the shower room only? (Well, this is my perspective, I respect everyone's different point of view tho)

People I met at the Hostel in Rome
Choosing and determined on which hostel, is a tough one. Basically, you are in a gamble, you either spend a worth amount of money on a very good and comfortable hostel or you are throwing your money on a place where you don't even want extra night in there.

Tips: Google the budget hostel, and spend some little time on reading REVIEWS. You may glance all the photos but to my experience, do not trust photos.


My amazing roommate in Rome.

Hostel at Hakone, common area

Hostel at Hakone, common area

Hostel at BOA guesthouse, Seoul

I usually choose a hostel that have a common area AKA living room. WHY? This is the best place where you can have a relax moment on the computer, getting a tea, and know some friends. Some hostel (well I can say 70%) has their own gathering event where you get to pay some money (trust me is not expensive) and get to gather with all the people who stayed in the hostel.

I've made plenty of friends across the whole world through backpacker hostel/accommodations.

The best part: You get to listen a lot of different stories. All these people, they have interesting stories. How and Why they travel. I got all my inspirations from all these people. Be open minded to accept anyone you met. There may be jerks, may be asshole etc, but who cares? Just learn to protect yourself, you will be fine.


Met this two at Athens

Japan vs America vs Malaysia
I tend to enjoy my moment by meeting all these people, and I even spend time going out with them.

My roommates at Athens, Greece


When I look back all my photos with all these people, it gives me a lot of memories. Why not try to let your trip to have some amazing experience and memories to share with others?

Roommate at Barcelona

Room mates at Barcelona


Insecure, it is normal that people felt insecure while staying at the hostel, so do I. All you need is to be extra alert by keeping a good eye on your own important documents. I pack all my important documents with me in a small bag and put it beside me and hugged it to sleep LOL.

Hostel do come in a 4 bed, 6 bed , and so on . (Some hostel even provide private rooms). You can also choose to go for mix dorm (which means male and female share the same room), or female dorm / male dorm separately based on your own choice.

You can also rent a locker in the hostel where you keep your own key etc.

Hygience, to be honest, it is quite hard to ensure that the place you chose is going to be super hygience. But, you still have to try tho. As I mentioned earlier, reviews, reviews, reviews. =)

Additional things I love about backpacker is also most (80%) of the backpacker hostel do have a kitchen, where you just cook your own food. Is a very good deal if you would like to travel budget.

A group photo at the traditional Hanok style hostel at Seoul with my group of High School Friends

Before, many of my friends do not understand why I want to choose all these backpacker hostel and not go for a good hotel, they also told me that I should learn on how to enjoy my trip.

My point of view is that: Those who knows me, understand that the way I travel is slightly more towards YOLO (You Only Live Once). I love hearing stories of others, that's why I love meeting different people, difference races and different citizenship.

Some friends of mine, tried their very first backpacker hostel experience, and come to me: Now I understand why you always say , try at least one in your lifetime in a backpacker hostel/couch-surfing.


WHY NOT? =))



No comments:

Post a Comment